Background 1

Monday, July 12, 2010

First Birthday Cake

A few weeks ago I did a cake for my nephew's (Zach's sister's son) first birthday. It was a luau-themed party, so they had some cute ducks to add to the cake. I just had to provide the blue frosting and a border to match the ducks.

I have a new camera that I'm still getting used to, so the picture is not the best, but here it is:

The foil on my cake board is making a strange optical illusion on the photo. It doesn't really have a bunch of blue frosting underneath the yellow border on the bottom. I had fun with this cake - the extra blue tip #16 star on top of the yellow tip #21 stars made it just a little more polished than if I had left it with just the yellow stars (as I have in the past).

The school year is just a month away, so my cake making should ramp up again. I will probably make a cake for the first week of school to kick things off (and remind the staff about my availability to make cakes!).

I have a few non-cake projects on deck that I've been mulling for a few months now. The first is a set of paintings I've been wanting to do for our bedroom. The canvases are purchased and prepped, so now I just have to make some final decisions about color and create a vine stencil that I want to incorporate. Also, we just got back from a great vacation in Arizona and Utah, where we visited the Grand Canyon and Lake Powell. I got a few shots that I'd like to matte and frame, so that project will be coming up as well. I'll post photos of both as soon as they are complete!

No comments:

Post a Comment